Reflective Journal Week 14

1. What did you actually learned from the unit.

The article I chose to read was titled “Assessment of clinical risk management system in hospitals: an approach for quality improvement”. It discussed a study which was performed on 200 nursing staff from three teaching hospitals in Iran. Almost 57% of persons participated in a training session of clinical risk management teachings. The authors argue that attempts to establish clinical risk management though improvement quality approach such as clinical governance and accreditation, but not enough, however, healthcare should be moving toward quality improvement and safe practice through the effective integration of clinical risk management in organizational process. 

It made me terrified to be a leader in nursing because you could be held accountable for every event that occurs on your shift. You are responsible for making sure nurses provide adequate care. The discussion changed my view point because I didn’t think the nurse would be held accountable legally for his injuries. Another teammate reminded me that it could be considered negligent care and yes, in fact, they could be sued. 

If I ever become a nurse leader, I will educate myself more on the topic of clinical risk management. I will understand that I can never have a floor understaffed and not provide nurses adequate time to accomplish their tasks because I don’t want to be in a situation like the case study where I could also be sued for inappropriate nurse staffing. 

4. You personal feelings about the material covered.

Like previous blogs, I am realizing how much responsibility and extra concerns there are with being a nurse leader. You have added stress and have to worry more if an event goes wrong on your watch. I am realizing more and more how I don’t want to become a nurse leader.