Reflective Journal Week 9

1. What did you actually learned from the unit.

This week we dove into the discussion of staffing and budgeting. During my interview, I was surprised to see how much depth has to go into budgeting.It is much more complex than I understood. I also understood how complicated scheduling can be. 

It was very difficult to get everyone on in the schedule. I can’t imagine last minute cancellations of employees and how that would affect the schedule. It made me a lot more sympathetic to our scheduling director at work. I understand how frustrating it is to re-arrange scheduling coordinations when an employee doesn’t show up to work. 

I will be a lot more sympathetic to supervisors who oversee scheduling and budgeting at work. I understand that my salary, limited overtime hours, and everything that has to do with pay has consequences and implications I don’t know about. I will be more sympathetic and understanding when considering my pay and hours. 

4. You personal feelings about the material covered.

I like how we try to understand all the complexities nursing leaders have to consider on a day-to-day basis. It makes it easier to understand and will be an easier transition once we get leadership positions.