Week 7 Reflective Journal

1. What did you actually learned from the unit.

During this unit, I learned more about budgets and how they affect nurses and the healthcare field. They impact every decision made in healthcare. 

I thought it was interesting to read everyone’s ideas regarding budgets and what everyone else thought was unnecessary in healthcare. I saw a lot of people say that staffing could have been adjusted and staff should receive less overtime and holiday pay, while being evaluated on appropriate clocking in/ clocking out routines. 

When getting upset about how something is, I will realize that there are a lot of factors at play with one decision in healthcare. Leaders have to consider financial cost as well as benefit when making decisions. I will have more patience when trying to understand why policies are the way they are. 

4. You personal feelings about the material covered.

I thought this assignment and discussion were really challenging. I had a hard time deciding what could be cut from a floor’s budget and didn’t know how to approach this budget cut. I still don’t understand too much of how to read these budget outlines and finance charts.